Tuesday, June 26, 2007

India: Now Mainly Pictures

After the trip to Behram, I decided to take the last few days wrapping up, seeing people, etc.

From here on out, the last week or so in India was captured mainly in pictures.

The ghost in the flat:

So we had two flats--one where the girls stayed, and the other one ended up being used mainly for Zakira to help wash our clothes and hang them to dry. Zakira, the adorable woman that she is, was slightly creeped out one night, because somebody had left the lights on. We reassured her that it was okay, and that perhaps Nick left the light on after he left. She goes back with Elaine, and the two of them run back screaming with jitters. The problem? This:



Now, it wouldn't be that scary if you didn't know how to read and understand Hindi. But if you did, you would know that it said "Help me!" below the disturbing red-marker figure.

So that was our little scare for the week.

I hung out and had lunch with Ajit to say goodbye and wish him goodluck at UT Dallas. Then I went to Krishna's place to hang out with Avijit. Zakira came by to make dinner, and I had a fun cooking and Hindi lesson.











Zakira showing me how to make roti/chapati.



My attempts at making roti/chapati.


(Photo courtesy of Zakira)

Der... what am I doing??


(Photo courtesy of Zakira)

There it is in all its glory!



My beautiful chapati:



Avijit made fun of my chapati. :( I think it was beautiful.



A picture of me and

Tomorrow is going to St. Xaviers to speak to the principle about having their students help us do water testing.



A short story:

One day (I can't remember when), a couple of us were heading out the door as Zakira was around to clean up the flat. While facing a little ledge near the door to pick out my keys, Zakira comes up behind me, grabs my right butt cheak, and says in Hindi, "Really good!" ...Not something you'd expect from a conservative Indian woman. Good times. :)

No comments: