Sunday, June 3, 2007

India: Non-functionability (Yes, That's a word.)

So apparently all my body wants to do now is sleep. My eyes can barely stay open past midnight, and this morning, I did not want to get out of bed until 9:15 today. Weiiird. Oh well. I guess sleep debt really exists.

Anyhow, yesterday, after breakfast, Anu and I went took the train to go visit Anushri and the biopharma company that she is interning at and we spoke to her boss regarding water quality and filter testing. Even though I do not that he will be able to provide us with the services that we wanted him to complete, he was able to give us some really good contacts and connections to other people, which is good. Afterwards, I arrived at Somaiya uneventfully, and sat around in Genesis labs stealing the internet and the air conditioning while waiting for Ajit. Ajit and I were supposed to go to the Princess Street area and go shopping for filters and lab supplies and the such, but while waiting, I was told that people wanted to go to the 5:45 showing of Pirates instead of the late-night showing, and Ajit warned me that it would take an hour to get to Princess Street and an hour to return, and we still needed 2-3 hours to walk around to all the vendors. By that point it was already 2:30 in the afternoon, and I really did not feel like walking around for the next five hours, so I decided just to take the rest of the day off. Good thing, too, since the rains came in around 5:00, and I would not want to be stuck outside without an umbrella an hour away from home with those rains.

So I met up with everybody else, and Krishna, Viru, and Avijit spent 23512 years to finally decide that we were going to book tickets for the 7:30 showing at the R Mall. The two, along with Nick, went off to buy tickets and hang out at the mall. During the extra time, Suneeta, Anu, Emily, and I had to get photocopies of our passports and IDs, and obtain some passport photos. That sailed by fairly quickly. Suneeta, Krishna, and I headed off to the movies first. We took the train, and it was peak hours, but it was not as bad as previously described. We were merely sardines in a can instead of over-sized sardines in a can. I am still trying to look for a good metaphor to describe exactly how horrendous that one experience felt, but I am having problems getting a good grasp on words. We watched Pirates, that was good, then we had a restaurant with Punjabi dishes, and then we took the train home. Then I proceeded to crash, and my brain has refused to function ever since. Fairly uneventful. Perhaps I will describe the random weirdness of the movie theatre later, but now, I need to run to go to a meeting. Boo to weekend meetings. And also my inability to function right now.

No comments: